Is your child having trouble focusing in school? Is he/she having behavior problems? Do they appear to be tired or unmotivated? Many children struggle with these issues in school. How can you help them? Ask yourself…
1. Is your child getting enough sleep?
2. Is your child getting enough nutrition?
3. Is your child reacting to specific food sensitivities?
Why is Sleep So Important?
– Helps keep children focused and attentive
– Affects cognitive skills & academic achievement
– Lack of sleep can lead to health problems such as: diabetes, heart disease, depression, and obesity
What Aren’t Kids Getting Enough Sleep?
– Too many extracurricular activities, too late at night
– Too many distractions such as television, cell phones, iPads, internet, etc. which takes away from sleep time and homework time
– Too much pressure and stress, which makes it challenging to wind down at night
Why is Nutrition So Important?
– Affects cognitive function and academic performance
– Attendance rates in school tend to be higher and there seems to be a decrease in tardiness when students eat a healthy diet
– Hunger makes it challenging to focus in class, leading to poor memory recall, hyperactivity, and attention problems
– Poor nutrition can lead to unhealthy behaviors and outcomes in the future
What are Some of the Most Important Nutrients for Kids and
How Can They Get Them?
– Vitamin A: carrots, cantaloupe, sweet potatoes
– B Vitamins: whole grains, fish, chicken, leafy greens
– Vitamin C: oranges, strawberries, tomatoes, cantaloupe, sweet red peppers
– Vitamin D: the sun, fish, eggs
– Calcium: strawberries, beans, dark leafy greens
– Choline: eggs, fish, beef, chicken, broccoli
– Iron: lean meat, beans, leafy greens
– Magnesium: brown rice, beans, almonds
– Potassium: bananas, sweet potatoes, yogurt
– Zinc: chicken, beans
What are Some of the Most Common Foods Children Can Be Sensitive To?
Often times there can be an underlying food or environmental sensitivity in which a child is reacting to. These reactions can include: behavioral issues, lack of focus, brain fog, and other disturbances that can lead to difficulties in the classroom.
Some of these common sensitivities include:
– food dyes
If you want to learn more about nutritional imbalances or sensitivities that your child may be experiencing, please contact CBH Energetics at 612-812-9121.